Honey

Honey
NOT SKINNY NOW !

Us

Us
Us

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bit intro and more

Its been very hot. I have also been very amiss about pictures. I do not have a camera phone, so I must rely on carrying the camera with me.On Friday the 26 we rode in the arena- always perfecting the bend, circles etc.
On Saturday the 27 I put reins on the bit for the first time and did more arena work. While I do put reins on the bit I still have the reins attached to her halter which has a side pull arrangement. I did some lunging too.Loomis also came out and gave her the 2nd Strangles IN- so she's all covered in that Department
Yes- you can see her little friend in the pic too :)


All of our work sessions start the SAME- so just know- when I say "I work her" it goes this way.
  1. Groom, brush feet (love) etc.Sometimes I light rasp any flares I see on the feet.
  2. Tack Up
  3. Lunge
  4. Ride (circles-leg-side pass)
  5. Groom, Bucket treats! ( I do not hand feed !! it breeds nipper, biters and crowding my space!) 
Don't get me wrong-on a rare occasion-I may hand feed-but not as a general rule. Petting works well.

Sunday the 28th I decided to use the full cheek snaffle, instead of the D ring I was using. It will help in her turns etc. I use lots of leg and since she knows all that we work on  giving to the bit.  Giving to the pressure-SLOW SLOW work. The side pull helps at a trot if she get confused about the bit- she is doing well cuz she's been trained off the leg in the halter !  So we practice giving and RELEASING!!
That will be the every day thing we do in all our workouts from now on.  Give and release on the bit. 100 times over.

Monday-more of the same, Tuesday, rode in the arena- and did a short solo trail ride. Saw a fire engine by the school!! She looked long and hard but did nothing. Then we saw a group of Turkeys- didn't even look.  She had the day off wed, Thursday cuz I went to the bay area, Friday was a play day- we groomed and just Turned out and played in the arena loose - I chase her and she free lunges -I laugh and she hangs with me.

On Saturday Sept 3 we did another class with Russ and 4 other horses- Its always good to be in the arena with other horses. We get to practice patience standing in the group while they work and obedience-leaving the group to go perform our maneuver.  There was ground work involved, all in a group setting. She even jumped over the Barrels! I fully didn't think she would do it- Wrong- she's a champ!

No comments:

Post a Comment