Honey

Honey
NOT SKINNY NOW !

Us

Us
Us

Friday, July 15, 2011

Bad Pony- July 14

Today was a wonderful day temperature wise. I have no pictures for today. The project today, was trailer training, although I should've stayed with the mounting and riding. Oh well tomorrow.
The truck was hooked up so I trailered my horses to Cool Hills . I rode and worked Will and Ruby, then focused on Honey. By the time I started to work on trailer loading -it was horsey dinner time. I don't like to start hard work at that time of day. Next time it will be after breakfast.
I had already started so of course I had to finish it.  Honey kept pawing the trailer-like she wanted to come in but just could not get all the way in. She was front half in about 6 times. We worked for about 30-60 minutes, she was getting pouty.

 The third time I went to drive her , instead of me being in the trailer, she decided to rear and strike. BAD pony idea. I spanked her shoulder and reprimanded her by shanking her back hard. We stopped and I told her we/she DID NOT want to go there. We chilled for a bit-all the while facing the trailer of course.  After a few seconds she walked up to me and put her forehead on my chest. Amazing.

 So Cristine came and stood behind her to add some pressure. Honey was very sensitive by that so Cristine kept her distance and Honey got in. We took her in and out about 3 times-all very slowly. Honey did not willing go in those last time-so we'll try more earlier in the day soon.
Honey was pinning her ears the last few times (kind of funny-like a bad 2 year old child) I would just tell her "NO" and she'd prick her ears up.
We'll try again. Tomorrow will be a ride day, maybe trailer too. I did/do want to see where her pressure points are and how she handles it. That will shed light on how her training progresses.

I'm glad she has access to the people at the ranch, and I was glad I had Stan go get her and will do more of that. I had this new man Steve at the ranch at the end of her lunge line too. We just traded horse for a bit in the arena. The introduction of many handlers is important to me and  I recently was emailed this article from a Newsletter I received. It reiterates this very subject!....

..."At first, a horse that appears very wary of all people (i.e., head shy and "turn butt" fearful) often reaches a point where he clearly transitions from fear responses to behavior that can be described as "relief," where the horse is suddenly very friendly and cooperative. In the barn here we refer to it as the "Where have you been all my life?" shift in attitude. It's a welcomed stage in rehabilitation, and it often starts with the horse's one main caretaker--the person who brings the feed and hay and dependably takes the horse in and out for turnout and exercise. At that point we try to gradually expose the horse to not just the one or two new regular caretakers, but to many different people, with the hope of having the horse generalize the "relief" attitude to all, or at least most, people. We do this carefully and slowly, initially trying to have people remain consistent, but eventually trying to build in more realistic variation in handling style and behavior. We really don't think it fair to reinforce the one-person horse....


1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job, Denise! Keep up the good work! --Carole

    ReplyDelete